EXECUTIVE ORDER CONTINUING THE GOVERNOR'S ADVISORY COUNCIL ON DISABILITY
WHEREAS, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) opens the doors of opportunity for Montana's citizens with disabilities to become employees, taxpayers and welcome participants in the operations of their state government; and
WHEREAS, these opportunities are contingent on equal access to employment, services, and information provided by state agencies; and
WHEREAS, effective compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act by state government can serve as a model for employers and service providers throughout Montana; and
WHEREAS, the compliance of state agencies with the American with Disabilities Act will be coordinated by the Department of Administration and the Department's ADA Coordinator; and
WHEREAS, this compliance and coordination will be reinforced and enhanced through the participation and advice of concerned employees and citizens, including persons with disabilities.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, MARC RACICOT, Governor of the State of Montana, by virtue of the authority vested in me under the laws of the State of Montana, do hereby continue the Governor's Advisory Council on Disability.
The Advisory Council shall advise the Department of Administration, the ADA Coordinator and the Governor's Office on issues affecting the implementation of the Americans with Disabilities Act in State Government, including:
- recommending steps to promote the proactive implementation of the Americans with Disabilities Act in Montana State Government with emphasis on both Title I and Title II;
- recommending steps to promote the development of employment opportunities for Montanans with disabilities in state government agencies with the same terms, conditions and privileges of employment enjoyed by other state employees;
- identifying specific problems affecting the access of people with disabilities to the programs, services, activities, and information provided by state agencies;
- identifying specific problems affecting the opportunity for people with disabilities to actively participate in the operation of their government;
- recommending steps to insure that state government provides a model for other Montana employers for compliance and implementation of the Americans with Disabilities Act; and
- sharing of the information with other employers and organizations, including the President's Committee on Employment of Persons with Disabilities, to promote the effective implementation of the Act throughout Montana.
The Governor shall appoint seven voting members to the Advisory Council. Additional non-voting, ex-officio members may be appointed as deemed necessary to represent other councils, committees or programs. At least four voting members must be individuals with disabilities. The membership must be drawn from consumers of state government services, associations or councils representing people with disabilities, and state employees. The names and addresses of members who shall serve at the pleasure of the Governor are submitted by separate letter to the Department of Administration and the Secretary of State.
The Chair and Vice Chair must be elected by a vote of the Advisory Council at the first meeting of the Council under this Executive Order.
The Department of Administration shall provide administrative support to the Advisory Council necessary to permit the Council to conduct quarterly meetings.
The Advisory Council shall meet no less than quarterly to be determined by the Council, in cooperation with the Department of Administration, to assure that the Council has adequate opportunity to review the activities of the ADA Coordinator and provide appropriate advice.
Any number of voting members constitutes a quorum. Business may be conducted by a majority of the voting members present.
Council members' expenses eligible for compensation under Section 2-15-122(5), MCA, shall be paid by the Department of Administration at the rate of $25 for each day actually and necessarily engaged in the performance of Council duties. All members shall be reimbursed for travel expenses pursuant to 2-15-122(5), MCA.
This Advisory Council remains in existence for a period of two years from the effective date of this order.
This Order is effective immediately.
||GIVEN under my hand and the GREAT
SEAL of the State of Montana,
this ___ day of __________, 2000.
MARC RACICOT, Governor
MIKE COONEY, Secretary of State